Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Turning guns into quinces


Kalani, Hawaii

In a dream last night, I parted company with a group of soldiers, carrying a rifle. In my hands, it turned into wooden gun that started dividing like a branch of a tree. I clambered with it through a passage.
    On the other side a woman, seeing what I was carrying, shouted in high excitement, "It's a quince!" I looked and saw, on leaves that had sprouted, little golden fruit and seeds. They seemed to be pulsing and vibrating, ready to burst into new life. The woman took one on her tongue and swallowed it with pleasure. "We must plant them at once!" she exclaimed, leading me up to a place on a hill. 


I woke happy and excited. I must now look into the history, mythology and uses of the quince. I know some think that the apple of Eve, in the Garden of Eden, was really a quince. I recall it is generally thought that the golden apple that Paris threw to Aphrodite - starting the Trojan War - was a quince.
    I have heard of turning swords into plowshares. Turning guns into quinces is an interesting fresh version.

Graphic: Franz Eugen Köhler, Köhler's Medizinal-Pflanzen. Public Domain.

No comments: